The Brazelton Centre UK has embarked on a new strategy that seeks to transform the organisation from being a training provider into an organisation with new functions and a larger service offering.
In 2017-18, we piloted an antenatal project for small groups of young parents in Cambridge, in partnership with a local charity. We identified the need to help parents realise how their baby can communicate with them and promote the process of building a relationship with the baby from pregnancy. To achieve this, we developed a workshop, where expectant parents observed an NBO session with a young family. Our final evaluations were very promising, as young mothers and fathers improved their parenting skills, by learning how babies communicate and interact from birth. We now intend to extend this support to more groups of parents and possibly develop the sessions to cover the periods before and after birth, working in partnership with local organisations. We are seeking a proactive, passionate, confident and committed Parent Services Coordinator for our team. The post-holder will be working to support our charity by organising and facilitating activities for parents in order to promote parenting confidence and enhance family’s wellbeing.
The Brazelton Centre UK aims to support the transition and adjustment to parenthood, focusing on the development and mental health needs of both babies and parents. Holding the baby in mind, the Centre, which is research and practice based, enables health professionals to facilitate relationship building between parents and their newborn babies at a time that is experienced as a major life event. The philosophy of the organisation is one of enabling effective service development, appropriate clinical intervention and sharing of expertise.
- Our vision is of a world where newborn babies are listened to and understood by their families, enabling strong relationships and healthy lives.
- Our mission is to give newborn babies a voice by supporting parents in understanding their unique communication.
- Our approach is respectful, compassionate, knowledgeable and supportive.
The charity, established in Cambridge in 1997, is a training organisation for health practitioners and researchers who work with babies and parents. We offer training courses in the Newborn Behavioural Observations System (NBO) and Neonatal Behavioural Assessment Scale (NBAS). The Brazelton Centre UK is one of four Centres in the world, teaching the NBO and NBAS, and the most active. Our charity works in partnership with other organisations on training, surveys and research, including third sector organisations, universities, NHS trusts, Councils and other organisations providing support for young children and families. Over five thousand practitioners have undertaken the UK training courses in both the NBO and NBAS.
We currently have a staff of 7 working at the office, 17 Trainers countrywide, and a Board of Trustees who delegates the day to day operations to the CEO. We also have a team of 5 volunteers helping us occasionally.
About the role
Position: Parent Services Coordinator
Responsible to: Research and Development Manager
Responsible for: Services for Parents
Salary: £21,500 FTE pa pro-rata to 60% part- time hours
Working hours: 3 days per week
Key Responsibilities and accountabilities
Organisation and delivery of Services for Parents
- Liaise with external organisations working with parents to establish partnerships
- Organise and carry out group sessions in partnership with external organisations, including all advertising and promotional activities and organising the dates and venues
- Assist in conducting focus groups to assess parents’ needs
- Readjust group sessions and plan activities in collaboration with the team
- Prepare materials and resources
- Deliver sessions for mums and dads in partnership with other staff, ensuring high satisfaction levels are achieved
- Complete attendance record and ensure all evaluations are completed before and after the sessions
- Film sessions occasionally, when possible
- Analyse parents’ feedback and recommendations for service development
High Quality Standards
Ensure high professional standards and report any issues to the R&D Manager
Work with the Brazelton Centre UK team to develop and update resources in line with best practice
Ensure all activities meet health and safety requirements
Promote the activities of the Brazelton Centre UK in enabling the highest standards of service delivery
Attend and contribute to the charity’s meetings and events as required
Support the charity and its staff members in other projects as part of its mission to give babies a voice and support their families in understanding their unique communication
This role description describes the major responsibilities associated with the role of Services Coordinator. It is not intended to be exhaustive and it should not be assumed that other duties of a similar level/nature appropriate to the role are excluded simply because they are not itemised.
- Further details about the Centre can be found on the Brazelton Centre UK website: http://www.brazelton.co.uk/about-us
- For more information about the post and informal discussions, please contact: Susana Nicolau, Research and Development Manger – firstname.lastname@example.org
This role is subject to receipt two satisfactory references, proof of eligibility to work in the UK and a six months’ probationary period. Closing Date: 31st May 2019. Interviews will take place in Cambridge.
Applications to be made by sending in your CV and covering letter to Madeleine Cassidy, Chief Executive (email@example.com), outlining your experience and why you wish to work for the Brazelton Centre UK.